What features you absolutely need from a File Manager?

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2008 at 9:56 AM
I need your opinions on what features a File Manager must have so you could start using it. This will help me to prioritize my work and try to create the best file manager ever! ;)
Please also include priorities.
Oct 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Network support
Immidiate update of panels
Handle of console application input and output in special pane
Copy, move, delete, rename, attribute modification, indexing, search - all this operations working in managable background.
Copy, move, delete, rename, attribute modification, indexing, search - all this operations have mask with regex
Color filter of files by their attribs.( date of access for ex)
Work with arch like folders
Shortcuts to custom directories
Shortcuts to drives
Quick branch navigation support.
a\t1\b\c\d\
a\t2\b\c\d\
Customizable action for quick edit and view of focused item
Virtual container
Different attibutes and tags reader, customizable view of panel with tags and attributes. Quick switch between views.

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Thanks, grobakh!
Could you please add more information on features you've mentioned. I don't understand some of them:
- "Copy, move, delete, rename, attribute modification, indexing, search - all this operations have mask with regex" example?
- "Shortcuts to custom directories" and "Shortcuts to drives" looks like the same functionality
- "Quick branch navigation support. a\t1\b\c\d\  a\t2\b\c\d\" not sure what do you mean...
- "Customizable action for quick edit and view of focused item" please explain it
- "Virtual container" I guess I know what are you talking about :)
- "Different attibutes and tags reader, customizable view of panel with tags and attributes. Quick switch between views." Again, i need ,ore info on that.

Thanks!